Subject: [Leica] Re: Fw: Leica 280mm f2.8
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:38:15 -0700

At 09:42 AM 4/12/99 +1000, you wrote:

>> Does anyone in this group use the 280mm f2.8 lens?
>>
>> Any opinions would be very helpful.
>>
>> Dave

I have a 350 Telyt. I've had it since it was introduced. In 1992 I decided
that I wanted a long lens with a wider aperture and APO glass. So I bought
a 280/2.8. After five years of lugging it around, I found that I always
stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8. I also found that the images were no better
than those taken with my 350. I then read that the 350 is made with some of
Leica's "special" glass. Anyway, the bottom line is that I sold the 280 and
have not been sorry. My 350 makes gorgeous, crisp images, and with the 2x
extender is a very sharp 700mm lens. And it is filter (77mm vs 112mm)
friendly. I found that I didn't need the f/2.8, the APO designation had no
advantage over my 350 to produce Leica quality images, and my back is ever
so thankful.

So evaluate your needs carefully. The 280 is a big heavy lens. But if you
need f/2.8 and f/4, it's all that is available.

Jim