Subject: [Leica] Re: M vs R
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:41:22 -0700

At 10:35 PM 4/10/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Also BTW, I was at Sammy's Cameras in LA yesterday and one of their
>Leica users said they did their own benchmark tests and found the R
>lenses to be sharper than the M's. How 'bout that?
>
>Dave Y

That's is a totally ambiguous and meaningless statement.

I use both M & R extensively. The only way a comparison test can be
conducted is on a lens by lens basis. 24R vs 24M (don't even need to test
this to know which wins... and it isn't the R lens). 90 M APO ASPH  vs 90 R
Summicron... hello??? Old 28 M vs new 28 R and old 50 M Summilux vs new 50
R Summilux... R probably wins both times as they are the latest designs.
But...

A blanket statement cannot be made. Most of the time it's like testing
Apples vs Oranges.

Jim