Subject: Re: [Leica] Heliar 4,5/15mm versus Super-Elmar-R 3,5/15mm
From: Gerd.Hechtfischer@t-online.de (Gerd Hechtfischer)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:53:48 +-200

>It seem hard to believe that the BAS test laboratory found exactly the
>same results
>with both the Voigtlander (Cosina) Heliar 4,5/15mm and Leica (Zeiss)
>Super-Elmar-R 3,5/15mm.

I think you should not overestimate the value of those numbers that
come out from the BAS lens tests. The rating they give for "optics"
is certainly not a measure for the optical performance on an absolute
scale. For example:

Leica Elmar-M 2,8/50: BAS Optics rating: 9.0
Zeiss Planar T 1,7/50: BAS Optics rating: 9.0
Tamron MF 3,8-5,6/28-200mm ASL: BAS Optics rating: 9.4.

The value seems to be a relative rating, relative to the price or
whatever. Thus, it is not comparable.

Also, have you noticed, that virtually only results between 8 and 10
are possible for all lenses ever tested?

Regards,

Gerd