Subject: Re: [Leica] Cops run amok
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:03:00 -0500

At 11:27 AM 4/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>sounds like these people who were on their own
>property were well with in these rights, not to mention a little thing
>like, say, the first ammendment.

You are right. As photographers, (in the U.S., and some other countries)
not just photojournalists but any kind, amateur and pro., are threatened by
such police action. They have no right to tell us what we can and can't
photograph in a public place.

I took a class from one of the leading first amendment scholars at Mizzou.
These persons are within their right. We as photographers have every right
the general public has. And yes, we have to leave private property when
asked to. And that means the cops can legally only stop us if we are
interfering with their investigation (and it has to be something more than
annoying them) or blocking rescue personnel. Of course, if our lives are in
danger, we should listen. I had a friend, who was a SWAT team member, one
time tell me that I was in his direct line of fire. He was nice about it,
and I certainly didn't want bullets heading my way!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The Devil whispered behind the leaves, It's pretty, but is it Art?   -
Rudyard Kipling