Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film: Poll
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:58:08 +1000

Bruce,

Interesting point and interesting question.

One reason that I am keen to check a darkroom print of some of my scratched
negatives.  I can't see the scratches on a couple of 4x6 prints of 400CN or
XP2 from a 1 hour lab but I don't regard this as a terribly reliable test.
When I'm next printing I'll check the negatives using a Leitz enlarger with
scratched section of the negative blown up big.  I'll report back.

My first suspicion was of the scanner - either my occasionally indelicate
removal of the negatives from the scanner neg carrier or possibly an
oversensitivity or eccentricity of scanning.

At the time, I'd first noticed the scratches I'd had my Leica around 2 - 3
months and my scanner around 8 months.  I checked other films I'd taken with
the Leica - most (not all) had similar scratches.  I then went back to my
Nikon negatives from the previous 6 months or so - no scratches.  I then
checked my current Nikon negatives - taken at the same time and place as the
Leica, with the same film (Tri-X) and (in one case) a roll each from my
Leica and Nikon processed in the same tank.  Scratches on the Leica film,
not on the Nikon.  This pretty much clinched it for me.

Some comments on film scanners and scratches are at the following address:

http://www.nikontechusa.com/forums/Thread.cfm?CFApp=5&Thread_ID=1971&mc=8

You will need to become a member of the site to access this.

Actually, your post does raise this question when you say 'would those M6s
had been considered defective prior to the advent of the computer scanner
(which they seem to predate)?  ... Should they be considered defective
now...?'  This ever so faintly raises the question - are earlier Leicas also
scratching film?

So, how about a poll? How many LUGers are experiencing fine longitudinal
scratches on scanned negatives?  The scratches can be spotted in Photoshop
if you enlarge the image to Actual Pixel Size then zoom in once or twice
more.

Gareth