Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions on Rapidwinder/Leica cassettes...
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 02:12:11 -0300

I stand corrected Marc.  I has assumed Bob was getting a new M6 as he seems
to be waiting a few weeks for it to arrive.  On the subject of Wetzler vs
Solms M6's, I think the changes made in the new M6's far out weigh having
an older M6 with questionable meter circuitry which could be very expensive
to repair, while there is no evidence that the changes made to the Solms
M6's has  made them less reliable mechanically.

As for the Leica cassettes, they don't seem very economical when I can buy
new metal reloadable cartridges for about fifty cents a piece.  These new
cassettes will also work in my R6, and R8, as well as the M6.  I tend to
load the whole hundred foot roll which takes about nineteen cassettes.  I
also have two to four emulsions rolled off at a time as well which can
range from fourty to eighty cassettes.  For example, I have Velvia, RSX100,
and E200 in my fridge now all loaded into the cassettes and with only a few
rolls of the E200 and RSX 100 left.  I have only seen Leica cassettes in
the ten dollar range each, so for me to bulk load sixty or so rolls, I
would need $600 in Leica cassettes.  With that $600 I could buy a dozen one
hundred foot rolls of RSX II.  I think my money is best spent on film, not
fancy cassettes.  The more film I shoot the better my photography gets.

Regards,

Robert