Subject: [Leica] 24mm vs 21mm
From: wbell@snaptrack.com (Walter Bell)
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 11:24:20 -0700

- --------------F45D7ED49C02B722F0516384

Hi,

I have a question for the Leica User's Group (I am on the digest
subscription)

I am considering the purchase of the 21mm ASPH or the 24mm ASPH. I
currently have an M6TTL, 35mm ASPH Summicron and 50mm Summicron (all
silver). Most of my pictures are a combination of travel (including
available light in the evening) and landscape photography. I didn't opt
for the 35 ASPH Summilux because of the price and the size. I have a lot
of Nikon SLR equipment collected over the last 20 years but got the M6
for the size, the feel and the quiet operation (and because I had wanted
a Leica  since I was 12 years old). My Nikon equipment includes a 28mm
(which I have heavily used for landscape photography) and a 20mm (which
I use for interiors and urban scenes). I did not get the Leica 28
because of difficulty seeing the viewfinder, since I wear glasses. I
would consider a used 21mm, but the test reports indicate a significant
improvement in sharpness for the ASPH and I am pretty keen on sharpness.

I am very pleased overall with the Leica and much prefer it for travel
than the Nikon. My main issue with the M6 has been viewfinder visibility
with the 35 with the hood attached, and a range finder that went out of
alignment in the first month. Fortunately the store made good on the
range finder issue by doing an exchange on the body.

Also any recommendations on the diopter lenses for the eye piece, a very
small table top tripod and self timer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter Bell
wbell@snaptrack.com

- --------------F45D7ED49C02B722F0516384