Subject: Re: [Leica] RE; DISCREETNESS
From: Robinsnes@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:41:20 EDT

	I am a wedding and portrait photographer. I ofter have people at
weddings refuse to have their picture taken, even candidly. I speak with them
and attempt to elicit their cooperation. If the answer is no, I stay away or
speak to the bride and groom and request that someone from the family
approach them. This usually solves the problem.
	The street becomes a different problem. I usually ask and present
them with a business card and them them that the proof will be available to
them in about 10 days. If they say no, again I thank them and leave them with
a business card (It has a cute picture of my maltese who is a studio mascot)
and ask them to remember me. Some do and call for sittings.
	I try to shoot with some purpose or focus and have many years ago
stopped being an intrusive camera nut. Most people will not care if
approached with a smile.
By the way, I have found that the larger the camera, the less problem. The
TLR Rollei seems to create the least problem and the Hasselblad with waist
level finder comes second. Then the M Leicas. I believe that the ability of
your subject to see your face above a waist level finder makes it easier for
them to allow the intrusion of a camera. When the camera hides my face, as in
a prism (90 degree only) the level of cooperation declines. In any event,
that my opinion. Have any others found this to be true? A smile always goes a
long way. :-)
Roger
Robins Nest Photography