Subject: Re: [Leica] RE; DISCREETNESS
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:46:14 +0200

I think maybe Garry Winogrand had the right technique.  From what I've read,
he'd step out there with a BIG enthusiastic smile on his face, a lot of
energy, and a repertoire of "pickup lines," such as, "I'm going to make you
famous!" or "You are beautiful," stuff like that, give a big thank you, keep
his feet moving, look important, click away, keep that bright smile, etc.
He made *himself* into a "street performer" and someone who was "working,"
rather than "stealing."  He made his subjects feel kind of important, like a
participant in an event.

Having said all that, that ain't *my* personality... although street
photography -- and maybe life -- would be a lot easier if it was.  I've
learned to be unobtrusive, patient, and not greedy.  I take what the light
gives me and I take what the situation gives me.  Do I miss a lot of shots?
Well, it depend on how you look at it.  There is not a finite number of
shots in the world.  The number of possible good photographs is infinite,
therefore, what am I really missing?  If I think I've missed a great shot,
then it means I'm closing myself off to the possibilities around me,
something I try -- sometimes successfully and sometimes unsuccessfully --
not to do.