Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Getting Close and Discreet
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 23:42:31 -0200

At 06:44 AM 05/04/99 +0000, you wrote:

> We are now living at an age when privacy, individual rights, copyrights,
>and other what-have-you rights threatens a red nose for those who profess
>freedom of expression, and other similar blah blahs.

        I happen to take my Blah-Blah's VERY seriously ;^)

>How many of us feel that it is now getting more difficult to even take
>street photographs without arousing suspicion, fear, anger, or even threat
>of bodily harm from the subjects?   What are your ways of overcoming these
>barriers?

        The ONLY honest way to overcome these barriers is with, well... HONESTY!

When I am working on the street, be it my hometown to some foreign
assignment, I am very upfront about what I am doing and I seldom photograph
people without their knowledge.... before or after the fact.

        Deception and being "sneaky" is wrong. I you look like you have
something to hide you will not be trusted and set upon.

        The key to getting good people pictures on the street is to become
an accepted part of the street. When people know who you are and what you
are doing they will accept you into the scene.  This can be as simple an act
as wearing your cameras in full view or as complicated as introducing
yourself, explaining your purpose and asking permission.

        Either establishes your intent and any given situation will require
some degree of this or somewhere in between.

Sometimes "approval" can be as simple as a nod of the head or simply not
objecting.

        If you go sneaking around with a camera looking suspicious, you get
what you ask for...

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm