Subject: Re: [Leica] how to be distreet?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 11:11:01 -0400

Ericssan -

Congratulations on your new camera and lens....Both body and lens are
terrific. Always remember that while there may be "sharper" newer lens,
some of the most revered images in all photographic history have been
captured using the lens you're using...so don't get caught up in
"upgradeitis."

Second, I'll start a flame-war on the list by suggesting that you use
black electrical tape to cover over much of the chrome if you want it to
be less flashy...Some of us even do that with our black cameras to cover
the red-dot and the white lettering - and to protect the finish. This is
very controversial on the list, so decide what works for you and ignore
EVERYTHING everyone, including me, says on the subject. It's a very
personal issue. :-)

Third, for what it's worth, I don't like the handgrip, but find that my
hand and the M body are a perfect match without adding anything...just get
a regular neck strap, and when you're carrying the camera, give the strap
a few turns around your wrist.

As to carrying the gear when traveling, you will get as many
recommendations as there are LUG members....The great thing about the M
gear is that it takes up so little space...if all you have now is a body
and a 50, you don't even need a bag - just stick some film in a pocket and
carry the camera over your shoulder or neck. But if you want it, there are
many fanny packs, waist packs, small shoulder bags, that will easily
accommodate your camera....Don't worry too much about the theft issue -
Even though I tape my camera, I tend to agree with those who say that
generally, thieves don't know Leicas from crummy point and shoots, and are
interested in flashier looking cameras with big lettering saying Canon or
Nikon....I just do the taping to make the camera less conspicuous in terms
of street shooting.

So get out there and shoot...and above all, have fun...

B.D.