Subject: Re: [Leica] Paradise Garden (LONG!)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 22:21:18 -0600

At 07:07 PM 4/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
> but I wish they were all like him....take a
>good look at Eric...once digital/automation takes over
>completely (or has it?)-- they'll quit hiring PJs altogether,
>and you'll wish for Eric...they way we now wish for "objective"
>word people....

I had a photo editor at the Oregonian once tell me that one day an editor
will send out a person to sweep a room, crowd, riot, beach, stadium with a
camera that will take in ALL the details (shows he sure doesn't know much
about optics) and an editor in the newsroom will look over the take and
crop out the picture he needs.

What an idiot. By the way, he's an editor at some Texas paper now.

Walt, your pessimism is based on the wrong people (consultants) saying how
it's going to be. Enough people in this industry are dumb enough to buy
anything from people they pay a lot of money to. Our paper one time paid a
guy from R.I.T. $100,000 to come and tell them what the photographers were
saying all along. Geeze, wish I'd been in on a piece of that. I'd have a
Noctilux for sure!

Us folks on the street know better. No one will automate composition. They
may get rid of staff photographers for a while, but just like National
Geographic, they'll have to take some staffers back.

That is my story, and I'm sticking to it. Unless I don't find a new job and
have to become a truck driver or something.

P.S. Thanks for being kind to me, after my snide remark last week. Shows
ya' got gumption. (Isn't that Texan for guts?)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Bumper Sticker: "Horn doesn't work; Watch for finger"