Subject: Re: [Leica] R vs M wide super wide angle lenses
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:18:48 +0100

Mary Kephart wrote:

>I'm thinking of rounding out my camera outfit with an R7 and would like
>to know if the R
>system equals the M for wide-angle work like buildings and interiors as
>far as clarity and
>minimal distortion.  I like the idea of not having to use an external
>(dust-prone) finder.

The only direct comparison I can make is between my 21/4 R Super Angulon
and its M equivalent, the 21/3.4 SA.

These are very different lenses in terms of construction, so it's not
surprising the results are slightly different.

Both are very crisp at all apertures, but the M SA shows negligible
distortion in the corners. Corner distortion is only just noticeable with
the reflex SA (see my Cliffs of Moher pic on my home pages in the Irish
photo-gallery (address below), which is from virtually the whole neg).

That, said, the R SA is a fine lens. I use it a lot both for landscapes and
interiors. It's not the easiest len in the world to focus, but the
tremendous DOF means that you can get away with scale focussing 99% of the
time. With the M SA, of course, there's no such problem.

If you want to avoid the dust problem with 21mm M viewfinders, get the
properly engineered old metal version. Mine must be over 25 years old, and
is still bright and clear.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst