Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: "Claes-Göran Bjernér" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:40:12 +0200

Eric wrote:

> And, for the record, was totally set up. He had them go back and forth
> several times until he got it right.

Eric,

I take it you were with Gene Smith at the time and saw this with your own
eyes. What really intrigues me is what possible reason you might have to
smear his name and reputation at this time?

Since you were there I have no reason to doubt your disclosure. But my own
personal impression of W.Eugene Smith is somehow different. Never have I met
a more honest, uncompromising and compassionate photojournalist. The Truth
was very essential to Gene! And it was his resentless search for the truth
that eventually killed him.

Claes