Subject: [Leica] Re:Eye Contact/Life magazine
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 99 13:47:16 +0800

Eric wrote,

>Look at the recent issues of LIFE magazine, or
>the new National Geographic Adventure magazine. Talk about a lack of
>respect by editors and illustrators for photos! They're "design"
>elements.

I think you are overstating the case Eric. I was proud to have a double
page spread in last month's Life (March p14-15, taken with Leica M6 and
Summicron 50 on Astia for those who care) and cannot see how that is any
more of a 'design element' than a double page in Life would have been in
the 1950s or whenever the good old days were (granted, they aren't these
days).

I do not think the 'respect' problem is new: photographers have been
moaning about it since photojournalism began. Now that the print media is
largely sidelined to TV as far as influence is concerned we photographers
are keen to blame all and sundry for our perceived loss of relative
importance: Life and its ilk used to be the network news of its day and
whether it did a better job than todays TV news is clearly a matter of
opinion. There is also an underlying assumption that this job is to
inform and influence rather than to simply entertain and I think that is
flawed. Personally I think that anyone who relies on TV and photographs
as the primary source of information upon which they base important
decisions is at least naive and most probably stupid, since they can
hardly fail to be aware of the superficial nature of such 'coverage'.
Perhaps such people really exist...

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw