Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:21:30 +1000

>Direct eye contact stops the action. Stops any kind of real  life that
>could have been communicated by the photograph. It says "Hey, I'm being
>photographed." It has little to do with the life of the person.

I'm inclined to agree with the general proposition that eye contact detracts
from a documentary photograph.

But sometimes, eye contact adds an intensity to a photograph.  At other
times, it adds humour.  At times, a subtle reminder of the photographer's
presence.

In my experience, this has often been where one person in a crowd is aware
of, and looking directly at, the photographer - the remainder unaware.  For
example, Marc Riboud's shot of striking dock workers in 1954 - popularised
(in Australia anyway) on an ad for James Boag beer.

I took a shot of a group of moped riders in Rome last year.  I was using a
50mm lens.  They were stopped at the lights (unusual for Rome, I know).  As
I bolted my camera up to my eye, the central moped rider stared directly,
contemptuously at me, from behind his sunglasses.  The rest were oblivious.

I think it is his stare that makes the shot.

See what you think:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/garethjolly/front.htm

Feedback would be appreciated.

Regards