Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:52:11 -0600

At 12:48 PM 3/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
>So please, how might I
>avoid this in the future?  This is only my 6th roll using the
>rangefinder, and my focusing is gradually getting better, but could you
>all impart some of your wisdom as to how I can achieve quicker focus for
>street shooting?

Shoot some more. And after that, shoot some more. And when you're done with
that, shoot a whole bunch more.

That is the only way. There are no easy answers. Sorry.

Your sixth roll? I shot six rolls one day last week. And I'm still getting
better.

But here's a tip for your particular situation. (Not my original idea, like
I have many...) Practice guessing the focusing distance by feel. Look at
something a certain distance away, and then focus the M6 lens by feel. Then
without changing it, bring it up to your eye and figure out how far off you
were. Do this while you're watching TV, someone else is driving, you're
sitting in the park waiting for something to photograph to come by, you're
in bed and night and your wife... nah, forget that one...

:-)

Eventually, you'll get pretty good at guessing where the focus should be.
This is pretty easy to get accurately with some practice, mostly with the
lenses with teh focusing tab on the bottom. It gives you a reference.

Another way is to focus to the hyperfocal of the lens for whatever aperture
is set, and then don't refocus at all unless the subject is too close.
That's fast, though not the most accurate way to place the best plane of focus.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My Karma ran over my Dogma.