Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:13:33 +0000

>I was thinking of buying one for my wife to use as an
>advanced point and shoot, but am warned off by the 6-10 bodies that
>are always available used at my favorite photo shop.

The G2 more than fully meet the needs of those who wish to use it as an
advanced P&S if you are not fussy about not having a zoom lens.   I am
quite happy to snap away with either my 35 or 50 planar on the camera, my
legs serving as my "zoom".

There are many reasons why there are so many G2s in dealers' shelves but I
do not think the camera is traded in due to major malfunction or
unreliability.

I have many friends who have bought the G2 thinking that they now have a
Leica M "substitute" in their hands.  Many were soon disillusioned because
the M and the G2 are different cameras with differing strengths and
weaknesses.  Many have traded in their G2s because the Leica was what they
should have bought in the first place.

Then there are those who never got accustomed to the AF of the G2. The AF
is comparatively slower than, say, my Nikon F90.  There is a learning curve
in the use of the AF and unless your style of shooting revolves around the
way the G2's AF works, one is likely to get disappointingly blurred shots.
I was initially disappointed until I got round to the quirks associated
with the G2's AF mechanism.

Then there are those who decry the lack of fast lenses.  I am not
disappointed by the lack of lenses faster than f2 in the G2 system as I am
quite used to carrying the "photojournalistic" combination of 35/2 and
90/2.8 lenses around - both of which are available under Leica and Contax
names. In low light shooting, I would merely resort to my M6 + Noctilux or
Summilux or merely push process my B&W films.

Dan K.