Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash fill in with Leica M & Contax G.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:44:55 -0800

Lucien wrote:

> It's to bad :
> -that not obvious flash fill-in is so difficult to control with
> both the Contax G, but the synchro speed is OK (1/200),
> -and that it's so easy to control it with the new Leica flash SF 20 on
> both the M6 TTL and Classic, but the synchro is only 1/50.
> I'm wondering which one will be the first to solve the problem:
> The Contax G3 or the Leica M7 ?

Sadly, Contax has the technology to do whatever they need to--witness
the top of the line strobes from Contax.  But it is all probably from
worry about a few "price points" that the simple things needed are
forgotten.  If only they would ask...

I've just been reading over the "FlashWork" brochure from Canon and
things are getting interesting.  the technology is there and prices
maybe will come down.  Take apart a smart flash and you wonder where all
the money goes (other than advertising--Canon's literature are
stunning.)

I also played briefly with the new Contax 645 yesterday and THAT is a
wonderfully designed machine, very fast AF, nice controls, everything.
But I'd have to stop feeding the cat to afford it.  He is a big, black
Manx and might take issue with that policy, however.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego