Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: learn to post your message (off-topic)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:21:43 +0100

Jeff,

Your point of view is interesting and well documented. But:
- - "decades-long traditions of e-mail": on your planet maybe, not on the
planet of 99 pct of current Internet users, who have become acquainted with
e-mail within the last 5 years.

- - current "GUIified" software is the way software evolves. e-mail server
and client protocols and standards are also evolving. There is no reason
user behaviour should not evolve as well.

- - most modern e-mail clients offer superb filtering tools and other
management tools allowing the user to be more productive with his/her
e-mail time. Preview windows are just one of those tools. Gary is right in
taking advantage of them.

With preview windows turned on, the user may avoid opening mails that (seem
to) have no interest for him. I see that as an intelligent extension of the
subject line. The time gain on a LUG download is very significant.

Furthermore, a mailing list such as the LUG is a hybrid beast, somewhere
between the threaded nntp format and the private, bilateral, e-mail. There
is no auto-thread feature, but posts form a logical PUBLIC conversation
thread, often made invisible because of non-efficient practices such as:
not naming the poster one answers to, changing the subject line to the
point where no sorting by subject can be made by the e-mail client in any
useful way, not pasting enough of the original post in the answer, and,
yes, pasting the quoted original post on the top of the message, making the
preview function useless.

Mailing list practices should not necessarily be the same as bilateral
e-mail practices. The users have the ability to make the mailing list
experience lighter or heavier for other subscribers. With the traffic on
this particular list, I appreciate posters that help me accessing the LUG
knowledge base more efficiently.

Alan