Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:10:04 +1000

On 25 Mar 99, at 19:00, Bruce Feldman wrote:

> >Why can't you use exactly the same technique with the Contax?  So at
> >worst, the Contax will be just as fast as the M Leica.
>
> Good question, Dan.  Answer:
>
> 1.   The G2  would have to be used in manual mode to do that and it's hard
> to manually focus it by feel (no focusing ring), without looking at it to
> check the readout.

Bruce,

What is the difference between checking the focus indicator in the G2 and
the spilt image in the M, I have both and I don't have trouble.

> 2.  It you have to turn off the electronics in order to get the camera to
> work right, then that doesn't say too much for the camera, IMHO.  Why
> bother with it in the first place?

Why turn it off? I like to have batteries on my MR-4 meter as well, it's a bit
useless otherwise.

> 3.  If you use the G2 in auto mode, which, let's face it, is how it's
> designed to be used, it doesn't start to work until you (at least
> partially) press the shutter.  If you're going to prefocus it, you have to
> be aiming it.  Bye, bye, subject!  Any M user worth his salt ought to be
> able to prefocus his M -- and set aperture and shutter -- while it's in
> his pocket, out of sight, with one hand, and without thinking.

> 4.  If you're not going to prefocus your G2, then it doesn't get out of
> bed until you press the shutter, too often too late.  I don't know about
> you, but I want that shutter to move.  Instantly.  I don't want it futzing
> around while the subject turns away, etc.

Please try to understand that not everybody has identical photographic aspirations, just because someone owns a G or M camera doesn't mean that they have an obilgation to stalk subjects in order to capture that decisive moment. The operation of the G system suites many users shooting styles.

> As someone once said, a Leica-M user doesn't need an automatic camera, he
> learns to be an automatic photographer!
>
> Regards,
> Bruce Feldman
> Warsaw

Both systems stand alone and need no justification or inappropriate
comparisons to justify their existence.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA