Subject: [Leica] Cassettes: Leica and Zeiss Ikon and more thievery
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:09:47 -0500

At 10:14 AM 1999-03-25 -0500, Dan Post wrote:
>I have a Watson Bulk loader ( available everywhere for 20-25 bucks) that has
>provisions for loading Leica and Nikon cassettes.

Dan

I think you mean the Zeiss Ikon cassette, which Nikon "borrowed", along
with a few other things, in the later 1940's.  Canon similarly "borrowed"
the Leica design, though Nikon stayed with the individual cassette far
longer -- Zeiss Ikon marketed theirs to their demise in '73, and Leica and
Nikon carried theirs into the '80's, but I believe Canon ceased production
of theirs around 1960.  The Russians also produced clones of these designs,
the Leica cassette by like thievery and the Zeiss Ikon design as a
legitimate exercize in war booty.

The Zeiss Ikon design, at least the later ones, are worlds ahead of the
Leitz design in utility.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!