Subject: Re: [Leica] Too many lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:51:00 -0500

At 09:27 AM 1999-03-25 +0000, Alex Hurst wrote:
>Marc - I meant to ask ages ago - what's the story behind your acquisition
>of one of these from a LUGnut, for which you were "eternally grateful"?

Well, the tale actually goes back around six or seven years ago, when I was
working on my Leica Thread-Mount lens book.  I heard of the Trinol (an
English National Optical LF lens reworked by Stewartry into a coupled LTM
mount, making it the only LTM lens with a Scots connexion), when Marvin
Moss, whom many on this List will recall, listed one for sale in the LEICA
CATALOG.  I began asking him questions;  he thought I wanted to buy the
lens, when all I wanted was information.  Well, it ended with my receiving
a rather vituperative note from Marvin.   (He now denies sending this,
incidentally, and we have become fast friends, so I have simply chalked it
up to an honest misunderstanding.)

Fast forward to last year.  I found a UK LUG member who had THREE Trinols.
I bought one, swapped for the second, and now I have the world's largest
collection of Trinols, and my friend is reduced to a single one, though his
is the best of the lot, being coated, while neither of mine are.

In any event, I now have TWO Trinols, one chrome and one black, to provide
yet another illustration for the second edition of my LTM book, if any
should ever arise ...

Slainte,

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315