Subject: RE: [Leica] learn to post your message
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:42:04 +0100

Doug,
OTOH, imagine I did not stick your mail hereunder, how would anyone guess
what I am writing about right now ? This list is not threaded, if I delete
a post that seemed not to be worthwhile because of its subject line for
example, how can I follow subsequent evolutions of an argument without a
REASONABLE AMOUNT of the original text(s) in the replies ????

I'd argue against you that quite a few posters do not leave enough of the
original posts, and therefore all too often seem to argue with non existent
entities, when you catch the thread en route. The only real problem comes
from digest users hitting the 'reply with original text' button and/or
forgetting to change the subject line.

I might also suggest it is more efficient to answer ABOVE the original
text(s) rather than under them, as to permit the usage of the preview
window of most mail clients.

It also helps if the poster 'slices' his opinions in multiple paragraphs,
well separated, making it easier for others to answer to a specific point
of the argument, and making that point more visible to the other readers.

Lastly, it certainly helps to make the effort of mentionning the name of
the original poster when answering to a post, rather than an anonymous 'you
wrote' that makes it really difficult to trace the logic of arguments.
Especially helpful as some posters seem very keen on systematically
changing the subject line when answering. Reconstructing threads in those
conditions can become a nightmare !

Alan