Subject: Re: [Leica] Fungus
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:32:22 -0500

Chris-
I recently got a 4x5 enlarger that happily had a Rodenstock Omegaron 150mm
f5,6 lens that appeared at first to have fungus and lens separation. Since
it seem quite extensive, I decided to try to clean it.
Fortunately the fungus had not grown between the elements, but rather on the
surface, and had not etched the coating.
I took about a teaspoon of Clorox, and a spoon of water, and using an almost
dry cotton swab, cleaned the fungus- this should kill it. To neutralize the
bleach, I swabbed with a swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide until there was no
more bubbling ( when mixed they evolve oxygen and form a saline solution)
I then took a microfiber cloth and some alcohol based lens cleaner and
scrubbed until it was squeaky clean, checked for residual moisture, blew it
off with compress air, and screwed it back together.
It looks marvelous!
Only time will tell if the fungus comes back, but I've never had a problem
with the stuff I keep out in the light, with good ventilation.
Good luck.
Dan