Subject: Re: [Leica] G system and Leica
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:50:01 +0100

Jean-Claude,

I made the same test (G45/2><NAF50/1,8 and
G90/2,8><NAF85/1,8@f2,8),
and I found the G lenses better than Nikon, specially
wide open and almost as good as current Leica M.

I think your problem came from the lack of precision of the
AF system
which happen with some G cameras (G1 and G2) and is
specially noticeable wide open.
But it's correctable by Contax after-sales service (G2, and
partially on the G1).

Now, I also sold my G2 and kept my Nikon AF and Leica M because
the Nikon AF, metering and flash systems is much better than
on the G system
and my feeling with the M is also much better (more reliable).

Strangely, I have much better result with the new Leica
flash SF20
on my classic M6 (non TTL) than with the G2 + TLA 200 or 280.(Fill-in)

I never missed the G2, except the flash synchro @ 1/200 and
the 1/6000.
To circumvent that weakness of the M6, I usually bring two cameras,
one with 50 or 100 ISO and one with 400 ISO or more.

I will not discuss here the good value for money!
;-)

But to trust my camera is important.
I mean, to be able to predict the result.
It was not always possible with the G2 for me.

My conclusion is also that the Contax G system is a compromise.
Not the best AF, not the best rangefinder, not the
best metering and flash systems, but very good lenses.

The new Contax 645AF seems to me a much better answer
to the needs of the MF users than the G2 to those
of the 35mm rangefinder lovers.
It's to bad because the G1 was also made from scratch.

Lucien