Subject: [Leica] Leica & Contax test
From: "Douglas McLernon" <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:32:18 -0000

There is too much  nonsense going on at the moment (not at all unusual on
this list - but on a topic  with which I have some experience) I think I was
the first to post to this group my impressions of the Contax system when the
G1 came out.   At the time I compared it to my M2 and concluded that on a
subjective basis I found  the lenses about equal but that I "trusted" my M2
more in "rough" conditions.  Since then I have purchased a G2 as well as a
new  M6. I regularly use all four cameras, normally the G2 with the M6 and
the others as backup. I believe Tim  Pigget Smith (have I got This right)
does the same.  Neither Contax has let me down and if I hear the old
chestnut about battery dependence I shall repeat my previous interrogative
as to how many on you carry a standing handle for your car.

They are different cameras for different purposes. I find it impossible to
fault either group of lenses IN USE - I don't photograph lens charts,
newspapers, or test for NON VISIBLE distortion.  Both systems give superiors
results to my Nikons (although  the 24mm and the original formula 105mm are
great lenses and stand up well to the Contax/Leica results. (Before some nut
takes me up I use Contax/Leica rather than Leica/Contax for alphabetical
reasons) The Contax lenses are noticeably cooler on transparencies when
there is a direct comparison on a light table.   I tend to use the 35mm and
50mm on the Leica and the 90mm on the Contax and carry the 28mm and 21mm.

 The Leica has a far superior viewfinder to use  despite the various frame
lines, The  Contax has a built in diopter control  and zooms to the correct
lens setting. The Contax wins hands down on flash, shutter accuracy, top
speed, motor drive, bracketing, and ease of use. In others words a
competitive modern camera for photographers who don't need the close up
facility or the long lenses of SLRs (i.e. most photographers). The Leica is
quiet, has faster lenses and will most probably last longer  - not a
consideration if you buy cameras to use as the Contax is plenty rugged and
will cost less to replace than a complete Leica overhaul. The quality of
build is about equal and it boils down to how the electric's hold up.

Some of you ought to stop worrying about if you have "the best"  it shows a
high degree of insecurity even if you have "made  it" far enough to buy a
Leica. Unlike most status symbols most people don't recognise what you have
and those who do don't care as long as you take good pictures.