Subject: [Leica] magazine lens tests thread
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:52:49 +0100

As a former magazine editor for various consumer publications, I must tell
you that the main reason I left the field after a number of years was the
appalling lack of honesty in the selection, setting up, and conducting of
new product testing and reporting.

It was very clear to me that the companies that advertised the most, either
actually or potentially, got better and more frequent press than those that
didn't.  Also, it was routine for manufacturers to phone editors to berate
us and threaten us with the withholding of their advertising dollars
concerning negative -- or even neutral -- or even the lack of mentions in
the magazine.

They also were effective in cajoling editors to test or cover any new
products of theirs and in withholding or delaying the sending of new product
samples for testing to magazines that were out of favor.  In addition, as
editors we used to get all kinds of neat booty and discounts (read bribes)
from manufacturers.  Of course, we were all beyond reproach, so what did it
matter?  What was the harm?  It's amazing how distorted your thinking can
become.

And for "scientific" tests, the choice of variables to consider and their
presumed relative importance, the choice of competing products, and the
interpretations of the results are, shall we say, also were not value free.
And we had the most elaborate and convincing justifications for what we were
doing.  Perhaps like sausages, new product tests should not be seen being
made.

As such, I have no trouble at all understanding why Leica equipment
routinely gets lukewarm treatment from Popular Photography and others.  Just
follow the money.  Look at Leica's actual or potential ad budget compared to
that of C,M, N, or O... or even that of the dedicated lens makers.  Sadly,
it really isn't much more complicated than that.

Nonetheless, I don't doubt that Leica, too, has its (fewer) favored, mostly
Europe-based lens testers, publications and freelancers, to whom they loan
or "donate" all their new products to.  Should any of these parties come up
with a disappointing or "incorrect" finding, then I would fully expect that
individual or publication to begin having problems with access to the
company and its favors.

I tend to believe testimonials from users more than I do publications, but I
realize, too, that investing so much of our money and self-interest in a
product choice unfortunately is also intoxicating and distorting.

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw