Subject: Re: [Leica]Autofocus & Leica
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 99 19:05:34 +0800

Mark,

FWIW, I have just sold my G2 + 28, 45 and 90. I find the Leica M much
more precise and predictable in general use and less likely to allow me
to mess up in the heat of the moment, IME. The gear was totally reliable
and saw use in factories, jungles, rain, snow, desert and the flash
system (with Metz TTL flash) was great.

As for the lenses - they are quite superb though detectably different in
colour rendition and tonality to Leica's. They are certainly in the same
league optically IMHO.

I believe that if Contax had come out with a G2 with a good M-style
rangefinder rather than AF it would have dug very deeply into Leica M
sales. Too late now - any further Gs are hamstrung by the focusing system
built into the lenses (i.e. no focusing rings).

One more thing, being modern formulations (albeit of old classic designs)
they are probably better performers than the majority of Zeiss lenses for
Hasselblad: as we speak they are in the process of revamping the entire
latter line with new mechanics, better baffling and spiffy plastic
exteriors (yuk).

Bests
Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw