Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica universal polarizing filter M - # 13356
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 99 19:05:13 +0800

John Hudson wrote,
>Does anyone know if there is an original 42mm ring or whether the
>39mm and 46/49mm rings were the only two originals provided.

John,

Firstly, your Summilux 50 M has a 43mm not 42mm filter size. They all did
up to the present built in hood version which is 46mm.

Secondly, the Universal Polariser comes with 39 and 46 rings and a 49mm
and special 46 for last versi 135 Tele-Elmar are available seperately. No
43mm rings has been announced nor is one in the works AFAIK.

Thirdly, I think you should be able to find a 46-43 step down ring fairly
easily. I did. I think it might be a common size for Handycam
filters/lens attachments so it is not so hopeless as you might have
assumed.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

p.s. the Universal Polariser is fine but bulky and slow in use - Jim
Brick uses seperate regular pols for viewing and taking and you might
consider that option.

Adrian Bradshaw
Editorial and Corporate Photography
Shanghai, China