Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson Stylus 900?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:05:40 +0100

I am not familiar with the 900, but I have an Epson Stylus 600 which I bought in
'97 and an Epson Stylus Photo 700 which I bought last fall. I have never had any
problems with either printer. I don't use the 600 much anymore, since I upgraded
to the Photo, but on my wall I have a color print made with it over 1 year ago;
I recently printed the same image again to enter it into a competition. As I
look at the two prints side by side, I cannot see any evidence of fading on the
print that has hung on the wall. It should be said that the print on the wall is
never subject to direct sunlight. I have another print, however, which hangs in
a location where the light level is generally higher, including some direct
sunlight part of the day (but remember, I live in Belgium, where it is cloudy
and rainy most of the time). That print is holding up just fine as well,
although I have not made a side-by-side comparison with a fresh one.

At the end of the day, no inkjet print will last. I fully expect to have to
re-print every print I display. But so far my experience is good.

Nathan

4season wrote:

> Has anyone purchased one? The sample prints are the best I've seen from any
> mid-priced printer (there's even a Leica in one of 'em, or something which
> sure looks like one!) I had previously thought to buy an Alps MD5000, but in
> the store at least, the Stylus 900 seems to offer much finer detail (the
> Alps has a noticeable dot pattern) and more importantly, I realized that I
> don't like the creamy off-white color of the Alps film, as used for the
> highest quality prints.
>
> Has anyone compared a year-old Epson print to one freshly printed?
>
> And how reliable are they these days? I last left Epson in the dot-matrix
> days, and didn't like them much. Oh, they were widely supported, but when 3
> out of 3 printers experience electronic problems (cheap PC board material
> shouldn't have plated-through holes!) and mechanical ones, such as busted
> platten knobs, it does tend to sour one's opinions.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator/index.html