Subject: Re: [Leica] old outmoded lightmetering........
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:47:58 -0500

At 11:47 PM 1999-03-18 EST, Bill Rosauer wrote:
>I think you're referring to an extinction meter.  Never used one and don't
>know many people old enough to have used one.  The original Leica Meter made
>by Metrawatt (not the later MC or MR for the M's) which slides into the
>accessory shoe would have been contemporary to the IIIc.  If you're
>interested, I do have one of these available.

There are actually a slew of Metrawatt meters made for the LTM cameras:
see my article in VIEWFINDER some years back or the most excellent article
from the German Leica Historica's VIDOM a few years earlier.

The first Metrawatt Leicameter dates from 1939:  I lucked into one of these
last year and, of course, George Milton of Quality Light-Metric immediately
overhauled.  It is refreshing to find someone who can cheerfully restore a
60-year-old meter to proper and accurate functioning.  The Postwar LTM
Leiameters are smaller, the Leica-Meter 3 actually being a cute little
thing of no great size at all.

And Leica DID market an extinction meter, in the early 1930's.

The history of Leica light-meters and, of course, of the Contax inbuilt
metering, is most fascinating.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!