Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica CL
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:33:16 -0800

Re: Fred's new CL

Nice system, Fred!

I have two CL's, with 90 and 40 lenses, which make a very compact travelling
system. Altho they don't have quite the roust "feel" of an M camera, I like
them a lot.

The 90mm is a great lens, whether Rokkor or Leitz. Both were made by Leitz.

I have shot both the 40 Rokkor and Summicron. From my experience with some
large B&W prints, the Summicron holds an edge over the Rokkor in the 40mm
length. Contrast seems stronger and wide open is sharper. Nevertheless, the
Rokkor is no slouch. I have some fine images from it, too.

I like also the quiet shutter of the CL and the internal needle light meter.
All in all, a great little camera that can capture some great big images.

As for the strap, you need a one-piece leather one like a belt. It goes thru
the end lugs and buckles together. Make it about elbow length and you have a
nice "stealth" system which tucks neatly behind your arm. Until you find
one, you could use a standard strap with the end rings taped well so they
don't scratch the body.

I found a neat travel and carrying case for the CL at a garage sale for
$1.00. It's an  Aladdin insulated black lunch box! Holds CL with 40mm
attached, 90mm in the drink section, with room to spare for a small table
top tripod, shutter release and three rolls of film. So do like I do - skip
lunch and go shoot that CL!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger