Subject: [Leica] Re: The chip on Creek Johnson's shoulder
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:27:25 -0800

Mark:

You wrote:

>>The fact that some of us have a hard edge or even Red Neck edge in our
opinions doesn't bother me at all. I find it a relief after a day in my
yuppie espresso politically correct non specific world.<<

Well said. I think the LUG is as much about people as it is about Leica cameras.
And I enjoy reading it for that reason. (As you can see from my belated
response, I'm a little behind in my reading). It's probably stands to reason,
then, that people are my favorite subject matter to photograph.

Galen Rowell was in town yesterday. I attended to his lecture and slide
presentation. It was worth seeing. But I was a little disappointed in the
content. He did a formal presentation, related to his new book, first. Then he
did an informal presentation. The photographs were nice. But, I was looking for
a little more insight into Galen Rowell the photographer.

I've always found photographers (especially Leica users) to be interesting
people. I was at the Dolores Gallery (now Friends of Photography) in Carmel, CA.
I lived in Carmel for 3 years in the '70s. I wrote editorial material and worked
in a small condo/office a block from the Gallery. I was there during lunch one
day to visit a new show. The place was empty, except for an older gentleman who
was taking in the photographs. I struck up a conversation that lasted a half
hour or so. I was fascinated, and I'll never forget the conversation, because
the guy, obviously a photographer himself, was so interesting. It was quite some
time later before I realized that the person I'd been talking with was Ansel
Adams.

Dave