Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash on M6
From: "Moore, Andrew" <moorea@andovercontrols.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:06:17 -0500

> Anyway, to my question: I was told that my Nikon N90 flash cord
> (SC-17) would work with the Leica and allow me to use my Nikon SB-26
> for off-camera, non-TLL flash.  Does anyone know if this is true?

> Also, can I use the Nikon SB-26 directly on the M6 hotshoe for non-TLL
> flash.

Yes.

> If not, who makes a good flash unit for the M6.  I won't use it much,
> but would like one just in case.

If you already own the SB-26 and SC-17, and if someone can confirm
whether or not the SC-17 works with the M6 (I think it should), then
you've got a decent flash setup.

If you want an alternative, I recommend the Vivitar 285 with its
optional off-camera cord.  The cord lets you keep the light sensor on
the hot shoe close to the lens.  I replaced my SB26 with the 285, and
I'm very happy with it.  It's big though.  Four auto modes, plus
manual modes.  The 285 with cord cost me less than the SB-26 alone,
and I never used most of the fancy features on the SB26.  To me, the
285 seems to balance its output better -- the SB-26 always seemed a
little "hot."

If you don't use flash often, but you still want to carry around a
small flash "just in case", try the Olympus S20 (no bigger than a
typical numeric pager).  Small, light, two auto modes, and manual
mode.  On-camera operation only.  Runs from two AA batteries.  This is
a rebadged version of what Leica sells with one of its Point-And-Shoot
cameras.

Be careful of large heavy flashes (like the SB-26 and Vivitar 283/285)
on M6 bodies.  Recent threads indicated that they may knock the
rangefinder out of adjustment.  I've never had this problem (hey, my
rangefinder was out of alignment straight from the factory!!), but
you should be aware of the possibility.  Check the archives.