Subject: [Leica] M6 ttl and older lenses...
From: "Joao Ranito" <Joao.Ranito@novabase.pt>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:13:50 -0000

Dear LUG'ers:

I have some questions for you.

Iīve bought a brand new M6 ttl (my first Leica first-hand buy! wow!)and
tried my old 35/3.5 Summaron on it. It didnt't activate the 35 mm frame. Is
this normal (my Summaron is from the 50's and the M3 didnīt have frames for
the 35mm focal length, so, maybe...) or I may have a problem with the lens?
Or the M6? It works well with a 50/2 Summicron from the 50īs and itīs ok
with a recent 35/2 Summicron.

I took a look at the rings that operate the frames' lever and both the 50/2
and the 35/3.5 rings have exactly the same format. And it is different from
the newer 35/2 Summicron. Is it possible that a clever technician could file
the Summaron's ring to get the frames to appear (kind of AI modification in
Nikon stuff)? Note: the Summaron is mainly of emotional value, I usualy (95%
of the times) carry the 35/2 Summicron instead, although the Summaron at
5.6-plus is very, very good in sharpness and contrast (with the hood and
being aware of flare), and smaller and lighter than the Summicron.

I also noticed that my 90/4 Elmar (again from the 50īs) locks in VERY
tightly (I mean, I almost have to force it!). Brings up 90 frames, though.
Never needed to force on the M3. Could it be that todayīs tolerances are
tighter (or maybe the 50īs tolerances were tighter!)?

Another question: digging up those old lenses and giving them a try gave me
an unpleasent surprise: the Elmar 90/4 is flaring a lot! Sorry, make that A
LOT! I diminishes with aperture but never vanishes. It is not localized (as
the Summaron wide open) but a kind of haze all over the picture. No apparent
fungus. No scratches. No cleaning marks. Maybe the coating has just died?!?
It is unusable.

One last remark, regarding shutter sound: I find the shutter sound in my M3
different from the M6. The M6's sound is more "hollow", if you know what I
mean. Nevertheless, I would not say that is "louder", only different. Below
1/60, the M3 sound has a kind of "springy" overtone that lacks on the M6
(thank God for that).

Thnks in advance for any information.

Joao