Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:m-6 film scratching.
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:34:06 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your post on film scratches...

> If the scratches are on the emulsion side, I strongly suggest the problem is
> the cheap felt they put in your film cans...

	Unless Kodak, Fuji and Ilford all purchase their felt from the same
supplier contamination in the felt seems remote. Even if they did, I do not
find this problem in the Nikons. (Or any other camera our students might drag
in!  ;-)

> the emulsion side of the film as it runs through the camera. Make sure that
> felt is clean and dust free when you load -- it will especially scratch while
> re-winding.

	This makes sense to me, but it defeats the purpose of the discreet
little black Leica to whip out the air can and the bottle of isopropyl alcohol
each time I reload film into the camera.

> Check also film handling procedures while processing -- do you leave a leader
> out and pull the film out of the can through that dirty felt again? Or open
> the can end with a can opener?

	I've never left the leader out. Always pry off the end of the film can.

- -Gary
 colbyg@ulv.edu