Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 35/2 question
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 21:29:48 +0100

I wouldn't want to defend a bad lens, Dan, but I don't think that's the case
with the 35/2, to my mind.  It really depends on the shot, I'd say.  I'd
ask, "Do I want to satisfy my artistic tendencies or my perfectionistic
ones?"  Often, the requirements differ.

I often like to use "selective focus"  which pinpoints the focus on a small
piece of my subject and allows the rest to enter Bokehville.  Using
wide-open apertures is the key.  Wall-to-wall sharpness tends to dilute
attention from the subject in many of my street shots.  The basic 35/2 M
gives me the sharpness where I want it -- on the main characters on the
stage.

I have a Sigma 28mm, f1.8, Aspheric II, I use on my FM2n, which gives me
wall-to-wall, tack sharp, perfectly boring shots.  I just can't figure out
what to do with all that perfection.

Having said all that, let me declare my other biases:  I think tube radios
and stereos sound better than solid state ones.  I think LPs sound better
than CDs.  I'd rather see a play than a movie.  I think hardbacks are more
fun to read than paperbacks.  I think any book is better than reading a web
page.

Regards,
Bruce Feldman
Warsaw, Poland