Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Virus
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 22:36:16 +0000

At 04:15 PM 3/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Luggers,
>Last night I downloaded an attachment from another Lugger. Happy99 - it was
>a TROJ_
>virus. I am using my laptop until I am able to purge. I know not to
>download from unknown sources and I don't. The virus goes out when
>responding to e-mail. I am not sure of its danger - maybe some
>knowledgeable lugger can help.
>Take care,
>Pat@photonewsnetwork.com
>1-732-288-0009
>Fax: 732-288-0326

Look out for an email or attachment of around 15 or 16K in size. If it
appears on your machine as an email message it will have the same subject
line as a normal email message, except that it will be about 15K long, and
you can tell when you look at the message that it is a binary file. At the
beginnning of the binary code it says "happy99.exe". If you find this
message then just delete it.

If it appears as an attachment called happy99.exe, do not run it- simply
delete it. If the file was not executed this will be all that is necessary.
I found it  when I opened a long email and then just deleted it. If you run
the file apparently you get a firework display to divert your attention
while the worm copies itself in different places on your machine, and you
will then have some housecleaning to do to eradicate it. In this instance
you need more information; there are a number of files like SKA.EXE and
SKA.DLL to find and delete.

Then if you follow up on the other information that people have posted you
can then look around your system for the files the worm has created and
simply delete them.

Joe Berenbaum