Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 shutter problems - light leakage
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:35:09 +0000

>I have just started experiencing what I am told is light leakage around the
>shutter blinds of my M6 (about 10 yrs old).   I have noticed it on a few
>negatives (about 2 or 3 per film) particularly when there is a highlight at
>the frame edge and when the lens is being used wide open and at a slow
>shutter speed (i.e. in lowish light situations such as 1/30 @ f2).   It
>manifests itself with the highlight "spreading" into the film rebate.

This sounds to me as if the film was not pressed against the camera body,
thus allowing light to travel 'round the corner' and onto the film rebate.
Are your negatives sharp at the edges? If not, could the reason be that the
negative is not kept flat in the camera? Anyway, if the negatives are sharp
and also otherwise OK, what is the drawback of having the highlight
spreading into the film rebate? If it is only some traces of light between
the pictures, why worry? I have experienced this, but infrequently, and
only in backlit or other extreme situations. Regards

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58