Subject: Re: [Leica] MD-12
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:46:32 -0800

"Lee, Ken" wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Just curious....  Didn't the Pentax MX come first? It seems to me I replaced
> my PTM Spotmatic with the MX in the mid 60s but I am not certain of the
> year.
>
> Ken
snip

> > Thought the FM was Nikons answer to the revolutionary OM-1 which
> > significaly lightened the load on the foundations of camera stores and
> > photographers necks everywhere. The SLR world had not been the same
> > since untill the Nikons F4/5 and Leica R8. But the R8 is not as heavy as
> > it is big. It's time to scale down agian.
> > Mark Rabiner

As I recall it the Spotmatic predated OM-1 by almost a decade and was
the camera with "feel". The others being built up hocky pucks the
Spotmatic not a hocky puck, not as small as an OM-1 or LX for that
matter and not having spot metering but having by far the best feel. My
remerance would be that the MX and ME came out two or three years ofter
the OM-1 being Pentexs responce to the OM1 and in keeping with the then
general scale down.
Mark Rabiner