Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica NEWSLETTER #43
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:42:09 +0100

Great stuff! Really funny!
My R8 does tic tac, Dr. what should I do?
Do you think my Leicaflex will have Y2K problems?
The shutter will change from tac tac to toc toc....
Funny anyway!
Thib.

At 19:14 01/03/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Subject.  Potential Y2K problems with the R8 body
>
>It has come to our attention here at the factory in Solms, Germany that
certain production runs of our Flag-Ship R8 body may be susceptible to Y2K
problems on January 1, 2000 and the days immediately there after.  This
problem appears to be caused by the Superior CPU Computer Chip (S.C.C.C.)
that our engineers chose to install in your  R8.  The problem also appears
to be most likely to occur in R8 bodies that are using ROM lenses of 90mm or
greater.

>If you are one of the unlucky people who have purchased the Universal
Passport Guarantee in the USA, I am sorry to inform you that Leica USA has
decided not to cover the potential Y2K problem under their Universal
Passport Guarantee.  Therefore it will be necessary for you to bring you R8
to the factory in person.  If you choose to arrive early in the morning, the
wait should only be about three hours for us to check it out and make the
necessary adjustments to the Superior CPU Computer Chip (S.C.C.C.). One of
our Very Attractive frauleins will serve you Bier and Pretzels while you wait.

>The primary problem with the S.C.C.C. is that the tic-toc function of the
CPU clock resets and results in a tic-tic configuration rather than the
normal tic-toc alternation.  Therefore it is necessary for us to go in and
re-establish the toc function.  And, as you know, in Germany, "Vee have Vays
of making them toc".

>For further information, print out this letter, write your questions on the
bottom and mail or fax it to your Leica dealer or Leica representative.