Subject: Re: [Leica]IIIf film loading
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 06:57:38 -0500 (EST)

    For me the problem has been getting the sprocket wheel to engage the
film perfs. In the instruction book for the IIIf (and doubtless other
LTMs) it says to cock the shutter and NOT release it before inserting
the film. I think what this does is to lock the sprocket wheel, so that
when you tighten up the inserted film via the rewind knob, the sprocket
wheel does not rotate and the film has a better chance of its perfs
engaging properly. At least, my success rate seems to have risen since I
began to heed this instruction.
    I think the long leader is so that the film initially has only to
engage the near (bottom) sprocket, and not the one deep in the body.
Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh