Subject: Re: [Leica] Color Film and my resurrected Leica addiction
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:33:57 -0800

VPS:
No Punch
I often had a bunch of VPS when if was rated at 125 and then 160 left
over after shooting a wedding and would try to use it for other things
but it is way flat designed for automated processing. It was film
designed to not block up a brides white wedding dress in case your flash
desides to go off auto and start shooting full power. Thats how I
thought of it.
The newer Pro 100 400 800 are vast improvemnets and there is newer stuff
than that it think. I would also recomend the newer stuff. It has punch.
Some not too much but all more than the I'm sorry punchless VPS. But so
many photograhers swear by It like a religion there is no reason, you
gotta have faith, I don't.
The endless second rate Kodak hype on this stuff: it just all looks flat
to me.
I can't wait to photoshop some punch and sharpness into a bunch of old
VPS negs I've shot in the past. That fact that my opinions and
experience is the oposite of other more famous, more angry, more money
makeing photographers than myself is no fault of anybodys.
The stuff sells, people buy it, they make money, they feed thier kids,
more power to 'em.
I like Punch
Mark Rabiner