Subject: Re: [Leica] celebs and great photography
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 19:51:25 -0600

At 04:42 PM 3/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Bilderburg, a documentary photo agency in Germany in an interview with a
>magazine said they used to get three weeks on a story, but now are down
>to three days max.
>
>And we wonder why quality is slipping...

Bean counters are destroying this industry, just like many others (not to
mention the health industry - oops). LIFE is now a casualty. National
Geographic photographers are feeling the pinch. Instead of the old 6-9
months to shoot an essay, most of them now get about 6 to 12 weeks. Though
not always, depends on the story.

It's the reality of the publishing industry. Photographs are not work the
investment they once were. Photographers could do more by taking less
money, but that's a downward spiral to bankruptcy and stress.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

- -Robert R. Coveyou