Subject: Re: [Leica] Greatest Leica Photographers
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 08:56:02 -0800

- --------------B572027915EF92E1F7B22E5E

I'll vote for Emil Schultheiss.  People, landscape, science, industry.
Incredible career.  A close runner up might be Dmitri Kessel along with Fred
Maroon.

Remember, Ted said all around great shooter.

Erwitt would get my vote except he mostly uses Canon now, but he may be the
most versatile photographer in the history of the medium.  I spoke to an art
director last year who had hired Erwitt for a job in NY.  He said Erwitt
shot more good pix as they walked to the job than the job itself.

And consider the German fellow (I am blanking on his name) who was picture
editor of the late American Geo worked for all the great newsweeklies.

Salgado only does documentary generally.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego