Subject: [Leica] Yvonnes web site
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:36:08 -0400

Francesco:

I took a look at the site.  The criticism I would offer it that she needs
to photograph at less harsh times of day.  This means just after sunrise or
just before sunset.  You guys will just have to get out of bed earlier :-)
The majority of the images lack depth because of this and are too
contrasty.  For example http://www.photorealm.com/bkk001b.jpg could have
been better if taken early in the morning.  It just has no texture to it
because of the midday light.  I also notice her images don't have the punch
to them that your glamour pictures had, maybe she should use your Leica
gear ;-).

The other thing missing in some of the pictures is that there is no point
of interest that your eye is drawn to.  For example in the picture
http://www.photorealm.com/bkk004b.jpg , there is no central point your eye
is drawn too.  It is too cluttered.  If the statue on the table with the
three guys was it, she should have moved in and framed it so that the
picture only included the three guys and the statue.  The flowers in the
hand in the foreground and the ones in the dish on the table just draw the
eye away from the little statue.  A picture has to stand on its own without
explanation from the photographer.  These flowers may have had some
significance, but without explanation, they are just clutter.

A good suggestion would be to have her join a photo club that has regular
slide competitions and critique.  I joined the Nova Scotia Photo Guild last
year and my photos have improved drastically.  For example, most of the
photos on my web page are only mediocre when judged.  I do have a few award
winners sprinkled in as well.
http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/index.htm   For example, in the
Peggy's Cove Page, most have gotten 9 to 11 out of 15 points, with 12 being
above average and 15 meaning that the tree judges have each given it a
perfect 5.  On the snowboard page, the top two images got twelves and the
right image in the second row got a thirteen.  The creative section has a
montage that got a thirteen.   A few of the Dragon boat images got twelves
as well.  In the Noctilux section, which are all prints rather than slides,
the Jennifer picture got a ten and the baby got an eleven in print
competitions.  Any images that get twelve or better go away for outside
competitions. Tough judging only makes you strive to be better.

Regards,

Robert Stevens