Subject: Re: [Leica] Olympus v. Leica
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:05:47 +0100

When I lived in Tokyo, I used to go into the camera shops every few days and
play with the Olympus 3Ti that had just come out.  It is a sweet, sweet
machine.  Variable flash sync, adjustable dioptor (like the Contax G2),
super, built-in spot meter, and just a superb look and body feel.  I would
drool over it.

But when it came time to buy an SLR to complement my Leica M, my
photographic mentor, a seasoned pro whom I was studying with, told me
instead to get a Nikon FM2n (at 1/4 the price), a 55mm, 2.8 micro Nikkor,
and a Sigma 28mm, 1.8  -- two razor sharp lenses that focus down real close
and don't break the bank (I already had a 35mm 2.8 and a 50mm, 1.4).  He had
heard from a good friend at Olympus that Olympus would like nothing better
than to get out of the SLR business completely and concentrate on their
other more profitable interests, but were forced to stay in for the status
of having a flagship model.  He was afraid that the system might be
abandoned soon.

Well, I've never looked back.  Like an unrequieted lost love, I still drool
over that 3Ti, but I must say that the FM2n has given me zero problems and
has done everything I've asked of it.  And damn, they really got that
mechanical shutter just right -- it's sweet.  When I need something to sit
on a tripod for long exposures or to focus way down for close-up work, it's
there.  Slap some TMZ in there with the 55 micro and the images just go
Snap, Crackle, and Pop!

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw, Poland