Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in the future
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 07:41:34 EST

Alan:

I understand the message that you are conveying and I generally agree with it.
I am hopeful that Erwin will understand that he should not discontinue doing
what is obviously important to him and many on this list.  I have a very
difficult time respecting the information if I don't respect the person.
There are so many ways of expressing one's self without becoming personally
abusive.

You have asked if I personally equate our daily posts of trivia with his
monthly research and content-rich efforts.  From a personal standpoint I find
very little value in his information.  However, I do respect the needs of
others.  Therefore, the daily posts provide me with much more information.  I
respect your comments, Jim Bricks,  Walt, Ted, Marc Small, Mark Rabiner,
Nathan Wajsman, Dan Post, Erics, Tinas, Harrison, Dan K, and many, many
others.  These people contribute much more to the group without being
personally offensive.  If I have overlooked anyone that I have communicated
with please accept my apology.  Yes, there is trivia posted but there is lots
of good stuff as well.   If I am in the market for a new lense I will
certainly ask any of these people their experiences and opinions before I
would ask Ewins.   Numbers mean nothing, people do!

Each week I spend about fifteen hours tutoring at a local elementary school.
This is volunteer work that is very important to me.    Several weeks ago in
the lunchroom I witnessed the obvious verbal abuse of an eight year old child
by a teacher.  In my opinion verbal abuse is as bad as physical abuse.  It
takes years to erase the harm that it causes a child.  Now, this was clearly
none of my business but I could not stand there with my finger you know where
without a discussion with this teacher.  She thanked me and stated that she
did not realize that she had done this and apologized to the child.  Since
that time we always stop and talk to each other.   She is a class act and a
very big person to accept the criticism and proceed to do something about it.

I apologize to the group if I have gotten out of line by potentially spoiling
something that may or may not be important to some of the LUGGERS.    I will
certainly apologize to Erwin if he recognizes his mistake and makes an effort
to patch his realtionship with Eric.

The ball is in his court.

Bob Bedwell

<<
 Is this really helpful ? Is it so difficult to make the effort of trying
 to understand what can push people on this list to conclusions such as
 those Erwin just voiced ?

 Funnily enough, I think I understand his reaction.  And certainly wish
 we found ways of convincing him that his reports and, even more, the
 work that goes into them, are highly respected by this list. I
 personally do not equate our daily posts of trivia with his monthly
 research and content-rich efforts. Do you ?

 I can also relate to his call asking each of us to refrain once in a
 while from constant radical judgements on matters we do not comprehend,
 even if I'm also 'guilty' of randomly letting steam off here that is
 probably gathered in other activities....

 The LUG would not be the LUG without the likes of each of the daily
 posters. But the LUG would certainly not be the high-end documentary
 source it sometimes is without Erwin's on-going contributions...

 Alan