Subject: Re: [Leica] The perception of photographic quality
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:39:34 -0500

Jim-
Well- we know which end of the Leica IIIf Loading bell curve you fall on!
Seriously, the easiest way is to take a pair of scissors and trim the film
so the leader is 4" long. Hook the end under the spring on the take-up spool
and with no more than two sprocket hole out of the bottom of the cassete,
slip both spools into the camera- the long slender leader across the bottom
( which should, of course be turned up!) The reason is that the LTM pressure
plate is sort of oval, and held against the film plate with two flattened
bowed springs- they look like miniature leaf springs! As the long leader is
advanced, the film is pulled in from the side, basically, and loads rather
easily. If you don't trim the leader, and try to force the full width of
film under the pressure plate from the bottom, you are in for a long sad
evening.
Once the spools are in, make sure the rewind lever is in the "A" advance
position, and ease the advance a bit to see if the film is advancing
 tighten the film in the cassette with the rewind knob- and you will be able
to see it turn when the film starts to advance.
It ain't elegant, and I still need to sit the camera down, but I've had
pretty good success with all my LTMs loading this way.
Dan